Electrical inspection checklist
Electrical hazards can cause fires in the home. A slight spark near any combustible object can immediately create flames. Therefore, it is important that you review all the electrical aspects of your home. Sometimes a professional inspector is required for new constructions or renting properties on new tenants. However, if you want to do a home electrical inspection for your own safety, then it is possible.
Check outlets for missing, damaged or loose parts such as screws or metal frame parts. Loose or damaged parts can cause sparks, which can be a fire hazard. Have to remove the covers, or covers, to expose the parts of the power outlet. Make sure that all unused outputs have faceplates. Faceplates can block some sparks and prevent children from having access to the parts and holes in the outlet.
To avoid wear and tear, make sure that no power cord sets through a high traffic area such as under carpets or door floors. Make sure that no cable is broken or frayed. The rubber insulation must be intact on all cables. Make sure that the cables are not secured in place by something that is punched like staples.
Fuses and circuit breakers
Fit the fuses correctly with the rating for the corresponding circuit. Label fuses and circuits to avoid any confusion. A professional electrician can do it if necessary. Everyone living in the home should know the location of the main circuit breaker box; well, if you need to cut a room or the entire house, everyone knows how to do it.
Place bulbs correctly to a lamp or other lighting fixture. A light bulb with too high power for the accessory may overheat and cause a fire. Loose bulbs may also overheat and become a fire hazard. Change bulbs that are too much energy to their corresponding accessory and squeeze loose bulbs in their basins.
Earth fault circuit breakers
Install ground fault circuit breakers (GFCI) at each outlet or in the circuit breaker box. GFCI can prevent electric shock by interrupting the flow of electricity if it detects a leak in the current. This may stop electricity from reaching a person who comes in contact with a malfunction of the electrical switch or plug.
Make sure that each plug on the end of a wire fits as much as possible. Do not overload the outlets with several plugs. The lower round tooth is a grounding, and must remain in the pin intact. Removing the grounding prong can lead to electric shock and fire, causing shock when used in a three-prong outlet. Do not overload plugs into sockets that are too small or do not contain the corresponding number.